Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Swam this morning with the Masters Group then 5 miles in Sesqui with 6 striders..

Swim set included

1 x 300 Free Warm up
300 Kick Warm Up
12 x 25 on 30
3 x 300 Pull on 3:45
3 x 200 Free on 3:15
16 x 25 Kick Set on 30
12 x 25 Free (4 on 30, 4 on 25, 4 on 20)
3x 100 Free on 1:30
200 Cool Down

3800 Yards

I have forgotten how hard and how fast these guys/gals are at masters. Its pretty apparent that I will never be as fast as these people in the water. Most have been swimming all of their lives including competitively in college and still in national age groups meets. They have developed the needed muscles from a very young age to allow them to do that. Its kinda hard to see that unless you are in the water with them, been swimming for 4-5 years and THINK you are an average or better swimmer. You get humbled really fast. One guy was doing 25's sprints next to me, an older heavier guy, and just had almost a 1/2 of a lane on me at the wall. This is, in my opinion, the only way to get better and faster. Swim, Bike and Run with people that are light years ahead of you. You have no choice but the get faster. Trying to do this on your own will get you nowhere but middle of the road even with dedication and I have been there long enough. Coaching and getting your ass kicked badly on a regular basis = success.
I was able to make times on most of all sets other than the 25's 4 x 20 - I was beat. I made the first 100 on the next set and got the 2nd 100 in right on time but I had nothing left and ended it with a very slow 100 into the cool down. Ran right after and could really tell. I could barely manage an 8:10 pace. Hard, Hard, Hard, run with Jeffro in the a.m...I think we are doing 1/4 mile repeats at 5k pace or better, after 10 miles....Ughhh!!! I am headed up to ride after that then to soccer practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment