Sunday, March 21, 2010

Parris Island Triathlon Results

12th overall out of about 450 starters
3rd in Age Group

Race report
Got up at 3:45 and met Tripp at 4:30 for the ride down to Parris Island. I liked this much better than dropping $100 on food and a hotel room. Got to the base around 7 and had plenty of time for a warm-up. Rode about 5 miles first before the reoccuring brake problems started again on the new Roo. Had them worked on for 2 hours on Friday but still not corrected - frustrating. Finally got them working and racked the bike and just hoped for the best out there. Ran 2 miles for a warmup at 8 min pace and swam about 500 yards with some drill work and 2 full sprints.

Started 54th and had 1 guy in front of me and a minuted break in front of that. So, plenty of room to navigate this pool you would think. Wrong! ran into traffic about 4th lap and had to start thinking about passing people. I hate this in a pool swim, especially a 25 meter pool. Once I started slowing down, people behind me were all over me. What a cluster!!! Just got thru the damn thing and only thought about everyone else in my age group having to adhere the same thing. 9:00 flat was my time when I am perfectly capable of throwing down a 7:10 in a yard pool which is about at 40 second difference. The run to transition was 10-15 seconds so I am thinking the traffic slowed me down just over a minute. Oh well.

Bike was fast, suprisingly fast. That new ride is smooth and the new more aggresive fit from the wind tunnel proved its worth in this race. I am in NO bike shape at this point what so ever and still had the 5th fastest time overall. Power meter crapped out on me so I have no idea of the wattage I was putting out and I think I was rather conservative. Makes me feel good!!

Run was fast 19:25 but I am thinking it was short, like right at 3 miles. Anyway, felt really good out there and passed a few folks. I really like that....the hard work is absolutley paying off - no question.

Finish time was 58:45 which is a full 2 minutes off last years time with a 1 mile longer bike this year. Awards were COOL!

The overall winner was actually in my age group. He did not race OPEN/ELITE but AGE GROUP. That figures! He is a former Elite Athlete out of North Carolina. Put a full minute on 2nd place overall - Crazy!

Off to the downtown Columbia Tri next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment