Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to the real world. Spent the last 4 days roaming through the mountains in NC. Had a great time with my wife and daughter. Grandfather Mountain, Canoeing down the New River, Fishing. relaxing. Training, oh yea that.. Ran down New Hope Mountain on Friday afternoon in Rutherfordton. This is 18+ grade and goes for 1.2 miles, Sooooo hard to run down. After reaching the bottom I then ran an additional 3 miles of very hilly roads turned around and came back to the base of New Hope. I would not call it exactly running up this monster but I tried something that was faster than a slow walk. I had to stop 3 times to let the heart rate get back under 200 and I was barely moving. Enough of that!

Got up early Sat morning and sat on the trainer for a little while doing nothing but spinning and watching TV, no intervals, spinnervals DVD's. Nothing but an easy spin as I was already sore. This is a different type of sore due to the use of different muscles that must be utilized to brake going downhill and pull you back up hill. Steep mountains I should say.

Got up early on Sunday and ran Moses Cone for a total of 10 miles. This week I ran it in reverse up the spiral past the old apple barn and to the Manor house. Such a peaceful place that I just stopped to take it all in before heading back down to the base. Pace going up was around 10 minutes or so, but it's all uphill and I kept the heart rate under 163 which, I feel, is my treshold at this point. I would love to get tested again, this time at USC. I must make some calls about that. Anyway, picked up the pace coming down hill and averaged in the low 7's for an overall pace in the 8:40's. Temps were great, in the 60's, but I was still soaking wet.

That's about all I did. Took Monday off and will be hitting the bike this morning at around 8 for 30 miles with some 4 x 3 minutes at 125%. Got to test the new training wheels I borrowed from John at the Cycle Center. Dura Ace Tubeless Clinchers with a new SRAM 12-25 cassette. Should climb better.

Weekend totals

16.2 miles running with extensive elevation gains and drops
few minutes on the trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment