Friday, August 6, 2010

Thursday Race Simulation in Augusta

Got the site about 7 a.m. and started rolling at 7:45 or so after everyone got there. Large group to start but that changed quickly as we all went out on our pace. Goal wattage for the entire ride was 227 watts which is 87% of my current FTP.

Started out (and finished) behind Jeff as he was shooting for 260-270 watts and in the draft I knew I would be 50 watts under him if he maintains that effort. All I had to do was ride slightly to the left or right of his wheel to catch some air and the wattage should be there. This place is fast, 3 long climbs of 2-3 miles each but the rest is slightly rolling and some ridiculous speeds were posted for miles. Some miles we were approaching 32mph for the entire mile! Any I swayed in and out of the draft trying to get that sweet spot where there is just enough drag to get the watts up but not as much as it would be out in front so as to stay up with Jeff. He had no idea of the where all the turns were and there ARE LOTS of them on this ride, 14 or so that I can think of off the top of my head.

New borrowed wheel set seemed great and shifting was smooth only running 80 psi in this new technology tubeless clinchers with sealant. You can stick a nail through all portions of the tire, sidewalls included and it will immediatly seal itself up. CRAZY!!!

We finished the 56+ mile ride at 23.6 mph which included a wrong turn, several stop lights and many stop signs. On race day the effort may have been a 24.5 mph or FASTER day, lighting fast!! Wattage was lower as norm power only got to 217 and Jeff was also low by about 10 watts so all in all a good day from that vantage point. I will shoot for 10 more watts next time.

Caloric intake was bad, I had everything planned out but was way low on calories and too much fluid on the run with too much late on the bike. Eat early and often! That's why we do these things though. Tried to run but heat index was over 100. Got the first mile in at 8 flat, 2nd at 8:15 and it went downhill from there. I finished with 5.84 miles but the last 3 were very slow. Took Gatorade in a water bottle which I held in my hand. It made me nauseous and the bottle was a bitch to carry. At mile 4, my heart rate was already in the 165+ range and I had slowed down to 9 min miles. This is similar to what happened at Ironman Louisville. I remember trying to run 10 minute miles there with heart rates over 170..That kind of heat, which mentally I am fine with, just physically kicks my butt. Hopefully late September in Augusta will be a little bit cooler like last year. Still warm but it was most defiantly not 90+ degrees with an index of well over 100.

Good day and we have 2 more Augusta trips planned plus another mountain epic training weekend coming up..

1.5 hours on the bike tomorrow with 2 x 20 at 95% and 2 hour run on Sunday at Temp pace, under 8 min per mile. May run a "recovery" 5 miles today at some point. No soreness from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment