Saturday, April 24, 2010

Race Report

Langley Pond Sprint
4-24-2010

Went to this one hoping to at least get a top five and collect some good points. Good competition down there today. Temperature was great even a little warm at 4:45 a.m. when I left.

I got all signed in and set up by 7 and still had an hour to warm up. Ran about a mile and rode the "hill" with Wes. I knew this was going to be a fast ride, I was feeling really good with all the rest this week.

Swim was great, took a minute off last years time and like always probably did not go hard enough. I focused on a song and maintaining a steady consistent stroke and made sure I was pulling hard the entire time. Shoulders starting burning about midway but no big deal. Drafted here and there and passed a few people. I was barley breathing hard when I got out at the dock but I am still just very slow. 23rd fastest swim. There is a long 200 or more yard run to the transition (seems like 400!)and I passed 6 or 7 people right here. No idea which race, the sprint or the international, they were doing but I was damn near at full 100% effort with the wet suite on. No problems in T1 and as I was running out I saw Wes just ahead turning left and he was about 20 seconds ahead, I was going to catch him though he would never agree with that. I had the 2nd fastest T1 time out of the everyone in both races. The only one to beat was the overall winner of the International and thought I was slow getting out of the wetstuit so I am happy with that. Lots more work to do in the water. 3-5 hours a week is getting it done but its just so slow in coming.

I was flying down the first mile segment and about to turn left and then a quick right. It had just started to rain (or at least the roads were wet) and as I went into the turn the back wheel gave way and went around. I slid all the way across the road on my left side and right in front of a high patrolman who had to jump out of the way. Quickly, I was right back up and tried to continue. I ran with the bike and tried to hope back on but I had no idea the left wing on the aero bar was cracked and when I put weight on it, it broke and down I went again. That was it. I just called it right there and I don't think the highway patrolman was going to let me go anyway. My left side is completely raw but no major damage and the bike is already getting worked on and the new aero bars are ordered.

I was running too much pressure for the roads and just did not think about it before hand. Need more grip when its wet or forcasted for wet conditions. I also went into that corner way too fast with wet roads. This is always the most dangerous part of slick roads and the initial water mixes with the gas/oil and other chemicals on the road before getting washed off. Just stupid on my part but man was I flying. I had already hit over 30mph on the first mile according to the SRM data. After a visit to the ambulance I packed up, watched my buddies finish and came on home.

Several other folks crashed as well. No points today and I won't speculate where I could have finished overall but in my opinion the only person that would have had a better time on the bike was Nick Bruson. Chuck Heirs and another dude had great times and I know I can stay with Chuck. Tripp and Wes also had a darn good times. Good stuff!! Props goes to all my buddies for good finishes. It was interesting watching a short one for once.

The bike has undergone surgery and is already waiting on her new aerobars that will be here Tuesday. Racing again next week in Charlestown and spending the weekend in HB's condo. Back to the park tomorrow for a long run and a climb up the sand monster. Already took an ice bath and went thru a whole tube of neosporine.

Racing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment