Thursday, April 22, 2010

Race Report

Coastal Carolina Triathlon
4/17/2010

Very fun and fast place. No hills and a quick swim. That's what I like, going fast and no climbing. Only about 90 people down there so the only reason I wanted to go was to get an overall win and work on the sub 20 minute 5k off the bike because of the flat run. One guy beat me by 8 seconds, the same guy I beat by 4 seconds at Parris Island. He's a much younger dude and can REALLY swim. He had the 3rd fastest overall swim at Parris Island and 1st overall swim this past weekend. We will race again Sat morning but with the longer distance of 750 and the brutal climb I will not be able to make up much ground but that's why we do these things.

Coastal Swim was perfect, no traffic ever, good flip turns under under the ropes - just NO problems - finally. With the run to the mats which was about 30-40 seconds I was right on my projected time of 4:50's. Slow but that's just me. Bike was great and I posted the fastest split of the day which was another goal. Run was great and had negative splits for each mile, again - another goal. However, it was way long by almost a quarter of a freaking mile making the final sprint at 3.0 brutal. I was dying - Why can't they get this right??????? Anyway I would not have gotten the sub 20 if if were right on. I think I would have been at a 20:18 or 20:20 or something like that. Man, I felt good on that run too, I had no idea how far that guy was in front of me but I knew I was catching him on both the bike and the run. Had a blast - He got a $50 gift certificate, free Pizza and a trophy. I got a glass. On to the next one this weekend in Langley Pond - going for top 5 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment