Monday, July 26, 2010

Back from the mountains and one hell of a training weekend. Totals include -

Thursday before I left - 50 miles with JB. 4 x 10 Minutes at threshold. Averaged 22+ mph for the ride in some hilly ass areas. Started at 8:45 in the morning and just too dang hot out there and left for Boone.

Friday rode 4 hours climbing almost 5,000'. Very hard for me as I fell back on most of the climbs due to 1) not beeing a very good climber and 2) having a 12-25 cassette. I must have a 28 as anything over 12% grade was nearly impossible for me and there were a couple of 16% climbs which were a nightmare. I hit 50.1 miles per hour coming down Grayson State Park in Virginia. That was F U N, but let me say that was the fastest I ever want to go on a bike. I could have easily went faster but once the SRM hit 50mph, I came out of the aero bars and into the brakes. What an incredible feeling. Had a deer run out in front of me or I had hit a rock or a small hole in the road it would have been all over.

I could pull out front on the rollers and flats and push the pace but not on the hills on this ride. Ran 20 minutes around a track at a local high school after the ride with the marching band drum corps playing. Enjoyed that. Ate and then went and swam at the local gym. Tripp had a workout planned so we all followed that and got to race each other. Finished up and ate again!

Sat - Rode 4 hours again with around the same amount of climbing. Really learned a lot this day on how to maintain power and steady up a hill. Much better ride and finished stronger than when I started. Unbelievable views of the parkway, prettiest place I have ever seen other than the mountains of Austria..That's God's masterpiece!!!!!! Ran 2 miles after the ride around Bass Lake in Moses Cone.

Sunday ran 2 hours at a 9:07 overall pace but this included a 1 hour climb up to the top of Moses Cone on granite powder trails. I would guess my pace up would be around 10:45 or something like that, Damn that was hard running uphill for a solid hour! Jeff, Tim, Nick and Bill all ran away from me in the first mile but I loosened up and passed Nick and Bill and almost caught Tim before getting the top. I kept my heart rate under Threshold the whole time and was well pleased with the result. Tried to Climb the fire tower at the top of the mountain but HOLY COW that is HIGH. I am a wuss when it comes to heights and I was AIRBORNE in the army - go figure. The run back down was hard but with Jeff and especially Tim there to tell me how to do it correctly was cool. Tim has qualified for the BIG show in Kona this year and lives near Boone. He was our tour guide for the weekend. The man is a great athlete.


Saw some of the best sites the Blue Ridge Mountains has to offer. Breathtaking views, ridiculously hard climbs on the bike, SCREAMING decents, 30mph flat runs for miles, great weather. Just a great time!

I am looking for a road bike today!

I think we are all on board for IRONMAN CANADA in 2011.


Totals for the weekend

Biking
Thursday - 50 miles
Friday - 60 miles
Sat - 60 miles
Total - 180 Miles with about 12,000' of climbing and 11 hours in saddle

Running
Friday - 4 Miles transition run
Sat - 2 Miles transition run
Sunday - 12.7 Miles
Total -16.7 Miles

Swimming - 2500 Yards

No comments:

Post a Comment